RFMC Alumni Join Together for Cross-State Ride
This month, a group of Ride for Missing Children Alumni from across the state will set off on a 300+ mile, ride across New York to raise awareness and support for the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children (NCMEC). This small, but inspirational event has been orchestrated by our Ride Committee Leadership from each of NY Rides.
The four-day ride across New York will take place in conjunction with National Missing Children’s Day and will serve as a pre-event to “Miles for Hope”. The cross-state ride will begin in Buffalo on Sunday, May 23rd and conclude in Albany on Wednesday, May 26th. As they travel, the riders will be making tribute stops along the way – honoring missing children, their families and first responders who work closely with NCMEC.
Tributes are planned in the following locations, please note that all times are approximate and could vary by 15-30 minutes:
- May 23rd at 4:30pm – Davis Park in Chili (Rochester) to honor Brittanee Drexel, a Chili teen who went missing in 2009. Ed Suk, Executive Director of NCMEC-NY and Chad Drexel, Brittanee’s father, will speak at the memorial.
- May 25th at 9:15am – National Missing Children’s Day, Onondaga Lake Park (Syracuse) where the “Chain of Awareness” (featuring over 250 posters) will be on display, honoring all children currently missing in NY State.
- May 25th at 3:30pm – National Missing Children’s Day, tribute to Sara Anne Wood (Sauquoit). Sara was abducted in 1993 while riding her bicycle. The Ride for Missing Children began as a result.
- May 26th at 4:30pm – Missing Person’s Memorial (Albany). Riders and families will gather.
There are several ways that you, the Ride Community, can support the Cross State Ride.
RFMC Shepherds are welcome to join in for a portion of the ride or the entire route. PLEASE NOTE: All participants must be registered for Miles for Hope. Please contact your local cross-state ride representative for more information.
- Patrick Hilkey (Buffalo), Michael Slattery (Rochester), Jim Sleeper (Syracuse), Gary Plunkett (Utica), Fred Alber (Albany)
Past riders, volunteers and guests are welcome at any of the tribute locations, to show support and cheer on our cross-state team in their efforts. Please be sure to wear your RFMC Jersey or other apparel!
For those unable to attend or participate in the ride, please consider making a donation to support the efforts of the Cross State Ride Team.
Thank you for your support and for helping to keep children safer…one child at a time!
**The Cross-State Ride is a Third Party Event organized by members of the NY Ride Committees. This is not an official event of the NCMEC, The Ride for Missing Children or any other affiliates